Course on Security Sector Reform
Once or twice every year the FBA offers a five-day course on SSR. Participants will acquire an understanding of the concept and how the approach has evolved. The challenges and opportunities arising in post-conflict situations will be analysed bearing in mind the importance of both sustainability and political ownership.
The course is based on the holistic approach needed in SSR. Academic lecturers and experienced practitioners will provide theoretical skills and practical case studies to illustrate the comprehensive process of SSR. An interchange of experiences and lessons learned are vital parts of the course.
- Describe the background of SSR and its objectives, principles and processes.
- Recognize the political dimension of SSR and discuss the importance of democratic oversight.
- Analyse local and national contexts through an SSR perspective.
- Account for the different technical sectors of SSR, such as military, police, customs and justice, and explain how these relate to each other within a holistic SSR approach.
- Relate to the international and regional policy frameworks and approaches to SSR.
- Apply tools and methods designed for SSR analyses and assessments.
A group of 20 to 25 experienced participants, from a variety of SSR-related professions and organizations, take part in each course.
For information about the next course and its application procedure, see upcoming courses. This page is continually updated.
If you cannot find information about the course you are interested in, please contact the course administration at firstname.lastname@example.org.