Nordic Women Mediators
First network meeting, Oslo, November 2015 (Photo: Julie Lunde Lillesæter/Differ Media)
Elisabeth Rehn at the launch of the Nordic network in Oslo, November 2015 (Photo: Julie Lunde Lillesæter/Differ Media)
International launch of the Nordic Women Mediators in New York, May 2016 (Photo: Klara Grenhagen/FBA)
Inspired by a similar initiative in southern Africa, the Nordic governments endorsed the creation of the network at a meeting in April 2015. The NWM was officially launched in Oslo on 27 November 2015, followed by an international launch in March 2016 at the UN in New York.
Objectives of the Nordic Women Mediators
- Increase the number of Nordic women that are actively involved in international peace-making efforts.
- Support non-Nordic women mediators.
- Engage with similar initiatives in other countries, regions or internationally.
The NWM also aims to make women’s competence in this area more visible, to counter arguments about the shortage or low availability of women with mediation expertise.
Structure of the network
The NWM consists of national women mediator networks from the Nordic countries operating under one umbrella.
The network is comprised of a contact group representing participating Nordic ministries, and an operational group, representing the Nordic Ministries’ operational partners that coordinate the various national networks.
The operational group is responsible for arranging yearly meetings for the members of NWM.
For more information on the network, please contact one of the following operational partners:
- Denmark: Danish Refugee Council (DRC) at University of Copenhagen
- Finland: Crisis Management Initiative (CMI)
- Iceland: United Nations University Gender Equality Studies and Training Programme (UNU-GEST)
- Norway: Peace Research Institute Oslo (PRIO) and Norwegian Centre for Conflict Resolution (NOREF)
- Sweden: Folke Bernadotte Academy (FBA)
Follow the network in social media under the hashtag #WomenMediators.
Nordic Women Mediators discuss women, peace and security in the light of Covid-19
On June 3, the Nordic Women Mediators held a virtual meeting on women, peace and security and Covid-19. Find out more about the meeting here!